Your Real Life is Hidden

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Urgent update

I was specifically requested this morning at church to update my blog.......

Anyway, on my way to update, I was just checking my email and heard that my friend Dagmar and four other midwives working in Nigeria were just involved in a serious car accident and all five are in critical condition. Dagmar lead the team that I was on in India and Timor. She's a dear, dear friend. Please, everyone pray for them. I don't know the other women, but their names are: Becca, Rebekkah, Sarah, and Erin.

Thank you so much for lifting up my friends in prayer--I'll report back when I know more.

Okay, I checked my old email account and received a message from the sister of my friend Delphine, who said that she had also been in the accident and died. She's from Tahiti. Dagmar & Delphine are the only two people I knew on the team--they were my team leaders; we lived together for over a year.....I'm writing this Monday morning, a bit of the initial shock is over, but I still feel quite detatched as I write this. I pretty well cried myself to sleep last night.

I've just received the following two updates:

here's the latest update on Dagmar who was also critically injured in the accident. She is the only person left in critical condition. She has a buildup of spinal fluid on her brain which is extremely serious. The other girls are being flown all over the place for their medical treatment, having broken bones, teeth, stitches and more. Some are still in a quite serious condition. There have also been losses on the nigerian side, 6 died from the accident, and one injured.
Brianna was the name of the other girl that died. Please keep them all in your prayers especially their families as they are going through this tough time.

And from the Perth base (Australia) where the team is based out of:

A team of Mother and Child Health workers have been involved in a tragic road accident outside Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Ten girls of 14 left in the morning of Sunday, 11 December from Port Harcourt to attend Sunday service with other local YWAMers. Seven YWAMers were killed, five were with YWAM Nigeria and two were from YWAM Perth. There were seven others injured from YWAM Perth – one still in a critical condition.

2 Comments:

  • i just heard about this as well through ywam perth's mailing list and then found this blog...
    words can't describe this kind of stuff. was reminded of romans 8:26 where it says that the Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express...

    By Blogger Anna vB, at 7:53 AM, December 12, 2005  

  • Amen, and thank you for the encouragement. They've touched so many lives, eh? We just don't know where the ripples of this (what feels like) massive disturbance in our lives are going to end up..... the mystery of the cross is similar..... bless you sister. I know I've been doing a lot of groaning..... are you at the Perth base now?

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 8:44 PM, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home