Your Real Life is Hidden

Thursday, May 04, 2006

I am a successful Tomato farmer!

Some of you may or may not know my life aspiration is to be a farmer. Well, sort of. I want to be a midwife; I AM a midwife, but on the side I'd like to do a little bit o' farming for the family table. Our apartment is a bit short on farmable land, but I've come up with my own solution.

The week I returned from Tanzania, I walked down to our friendly neighbourhood garden centre and purchased a bit of dirt and some seeds. I cultivated these wee plants all by mi onesy, and today they have all, 100% of them, sprouted. They tell you to put two seeds per hole, but I only put one. I was sure I could grow them. And so I have! They're still only wee plants, but soon they'll be bringing in quite the load of tomatoes.

Mmmmm....Tomatoes for eating, for salads, for canning, for lasagna, for soups, for giving and for selling. Organic tomatoes....I've even made my own organic fertilizer from kitchen scraps.

I'm very excited. I'll let you know when I harvest my firstfruits. :)

2 Comments:

  • That is so cool! All the best with those tomatoes, I hope they grow big and juicy! YUM! I've always wanted to compost, how are you doing it in the appartment?

    By Blogger julielewisandthenews, at 8:20 AM, May 04, 2006  

  • i like weeny tomatoes ... grape tomatoes, they are called ... i grow them outside though ... i think it's great to grow things ... tomatoes, people, fertilizer ... bring some of that fertilizer to the retreat ... we need it :)

    By Blogger Tina, at 8:36 PM, May 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home