Your Real Life is Hidden

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Strawberry Fields and Orangeville

Tuesday found me standing on a hill, stooping in the grass looking for tiny field-strawberries. Said berries were bright, red and sweet, but only the size of half of the last joint of my pinky finger. Hidden beneath leaves of three, it took about ten to make a small bite.

My friend Amanda (of Alberta) introduced me to this wonderous phenomenon during my journey to the YWAM base that sits outside of Orangeville. She invited me up for the day, and I gladly braved Cambridge/Kitchener morning rush-hour traffic to come.

The main reason Amanda wanted me to come out was to see the speaker who was at their base that week: Carol Love-Joy. She is a First Nations woman from Alberta. She works in intercession, reconciliation (among the church, natives, French, English, etc), and welcoming people to Canada. Amanda told her about me and my ongoing struggles with immigration, and she prayed for me, welcomed me, and blessed me. I was a weeping mess. It was really a great time to worship with the YWAMers, pray together, rejoice, eat yummy Korean/Japanese curry, and spend an afternoon with Amanda just talking.

While at the base I also met a couple on staff from Tanzania--who know my Tanzanians! Actually, it's more like I know their Tanzanians. So we talked for a while about the YWAM base in Dar es Salaam/Mwandege, the clinic, the people, the leaders, the churches. It was great. I even managed to remember enough Swahili to give greetings to them, blessings, and sing along to a few Tanzanian songs.

An Egyptian couple also came to talk to Carol. They are Muslim converts who are ministering to Muslims in the area. I hope to talk to them more and get to know them, as my heart is also to reach Muslims here and on the other side of the map.

A big hearty thanks to everyone who made my visit to the YWAM base in Orangeville wonderful! Thank you, Carol, for welcoming me to your nation. Thanks all for standing with me as we continue to pray for breakthrough in the immigration department. I have been much encouraged and strengthened by so many coming along side me. Bless you.

On another related note, I was reading the paper yesterday and came across this story: 'We offer a full apology to Chinese Canadians'
As I read it I just sat and wept, thinking about all the immigrants who went through such terrible things, and were filled with shame because they weren't welcomed here by the government. At the same time I was blessed by the fact that the man's friend would lend him $1000 without interest so he could bring his family over--a loan that took him 17 years to repay.

I'm reminded more and more of the grace that God has shown me, and I am so thankful for all He is doing and has done and will do on my behalf. Thank you, Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home