Your Real Life is Hidden

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Delphine's funeral

I got a really great email yesterday from my friend Darcy's husband. They're both working at the Perth base, and she was one of the leaders on my BAS in India.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end
They are new every morning
New every morning
Great is Thy faithfulness, O Lord!
Great is Thy faithfulness!

If you know me, you know how often I'm suddenly struck by songs and can't help but sing them.....Darcy is now in Tahiti. She and Delphine were best friends, so her death has been very hard on Darcey. The funeral will be Friday morning; Delphine's body should be arriving Thursday morning (so I guess that's about now, after all the time changes). Darcy's husband is in Perth and has been in contact with me. We used to play Settlers of Catan together in the common lounge with my girls Stephanie and Angela, and occasionally some other people. He was the leader of another school that was running the same time as the BAS, and we all got very close (I guess that's because most of the students from five different schools shared the same house). We had some really great times together, all of us. I so often complain about how miserable I was in Australia, but I really need to ammend that. It wasn't the best time of my life, but I loved the people I was working with, and the huge corporate worship, and the Islanders, everything except the constant rain and returning to Oz from India & Timor (major culture shock). So that's not much to complain about. I apologize to everyone who I ranted and raved around about Australia. Forgive me.

Anyway, Darcy was helping with the debreifing of the girls who have arrived in Perth from Nigeria (six all told). Continue to pray for these women, as they've just survived total trauma, and shock, and culture shock, and loss, and grief, and a premature end to what was going to be a year-long adventure overseas with God. His love never ceases. But we can't always see His love or His mercy because we're so enveloped by pain and loss and lies and doubts. Pray that these women will know the grace that is upon them. I can imagine there's a lot of forgiving they're needing to go through--forgiving God for allowing this, forgiving themselves for not being on the bus, forgiving Delphine for 'abandoning' them. Also keep in your prayers Delphine's family--not all of them know Christ, and maybe this funeral will be the breaking point for some hardened hearts. Pray also for Darcy to have safe travel to and from Tahiti.

Crazy thing about YWAM....I went to my friend Karen's house Monday night to help her with some Christmas stuff--and mostly getting to know her better. She's actually my husband's best friend's girlfriend, so we've only really talked once when the four of us went out for breakfast together. So we were talking, and at the point at which I felt we had spent enough hours together talking about other things, I launched into this whole story about Nigeria and Delphine and Dagmar....and she was like, "I heard about that. You knew them?!" Her cousin was with YWAM in Australia (not exactly sure where, but it might have been Perth), and he had heard about it, and passed the news on to her so she could pray about it.....I'm so blown away by what a small world it is and the incredible communication that takes place with technology, and how quickly we can mobilize people to pray worldwide. Thank you, Jesus! So I came away from her house with a renewed sense of awe of God and His ways, and also with a new friend. An actual friend, instead of someone whose life I know all the details of because she's dating my husband's best friend. Hooray! Unfortunately, she'll be moving to London in about a month or so. Blast. That doesn't change the fact that we're friends.

Do you like random? Because this was random. If you're in the mood for more randomness, call me and we'll have coffee and talk for four hours about something that never crossed your mind before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home