Your Real Life is Hidden

Friday, February 09, 2007

There is no me without you.......

Here's a wee something I read yesterday in a book I won't be able to finish before the library wants it back. It's called There is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene and is mostly about the crisis of AIDS in Africa--no drugs=millions of orphans that can not be cared for by extended family (like in old days, as there have always been orphans) because there are SO MANY. And it blames the west. Rightly so. The thought of AIDS scares the crap out of us, but we at least have drugs that doesn't make it an immediate death sentance.

So here are a few quotes that I like for various reasons. If you like them, you should pick up the book....I got it from KPL for free!!! :)

(Comparing clinics to American Idol or Survivor):
These programs are "reality shows."
In Africa, by the hundreds and thousands and millions, but one by one, a person sits in a clinic waiting room, jumpy or still, feeling fine or feeling nauseaous, coughing or not coughing. Or she squats outside in the dirt yard, holding her head in her hand, occasionally looking up and calling to her children not to wander too far. Each waits to hear his or her name called. Inside the examining room, a doctor or nurse or nurse's aide examines a slip of paper and looks up. The eyes speak first.
Negative: You advance to the next round. See you tomorrow.
Positive: America has voted. Your journey ends here.
There are no television cameras.
No viewers at home are cheering or weeping.
No viewers at home phoned in their individual votes. Most never knew anything was at stake.
"I have heard there are treatments," a woman will whisper.
"Not in our country," the doctor will say with a sad smile.
"Does it mean I will die soon?" a man will ask.
"Yes, I'm afraid that is what it means."
"I thought perhaps I just had a cold."
"No, I'm afraid not."
"...I have heard that there is holy water which is effective?"
"No. That is a myth."
"As I supposed. Thank you, Doctor."

Speaking of the woman who is the subject of the book, who opened her home to the orphans in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia):
It was perhaps [her] own chronic mourning that compelled her to hesitate, to hold her door ajar, when strangers materialized in the lane and asked for her help. She instantly recognized the pain of fellow mourners and would not abuse them.
Sometimes it felt as if she, too, waited for someone.
This slight gap in the imprenetrable landscape--door after door closed to the afflicted, clergy preaching against them, their own families stonily denying them--had been discovered. Somehow the untouchables had found this woman who did not shriek insults, throw rocks, or shake a broom at them before slamming the door in their faces. Now they rode by bus or by donkey, they hiked or they limped, toward the brick house......

So what's our response? I don't know, except to do whatever possible to stop the mad torrent. Here's a small thing I did: With the birthday money sent to me by my parents & grandma I bought a child's life somewhere in Africa. On the World Vision site, you can purchase AIDS medication for a pregnant mother, so that her child doesn't get AIDS and so she can be treated during her pregnancy with anti-retroviral medication. There's so much more I want to do. Drug companies can make drugs so cheaply; they do all the time in India, and the drugs are the same quality as what we get here. But every corporation in the world is about the bottom line, aren't they?

If this is really pulling at you, you should also see The Constant Gardner. It's about drug companies and Africa (although not a documentary).

You want to make a difference? You want to be the generation who saves Africa, like the whole Live 8 thing was supposed to be about? Do something about treating adults with AIDS, because children don't need more orphanages built in Africa filled with foreign workers. They need their parents not to die from AIDS so they can be raised by their parents. Would you rather have been raised in an orphanage or with your own parents and siblings?

(And yes, I'm still employed. I know that two posts in a week might have confused some of you on that point. You see what kind of posts I make when I have time to think about important things?)

10 Comments:

  • Thanks for the info on the World Vison link. Aids is a far greater story than just the disease. It is what spills out the disease that decides even more pain for this world. It is a story of poverty that leaves the next generation to horrendous lives of slavery in every imaginable form.

    Dane and I saw the Constant Gardener at the show. I ran into Tina after it and I was a blubbering mess. Man it left me pissed.

    You are an inspiration love!

    By Blogger corena, at 9:01 AM, February 09, 2007  

  • Wow, yeah, I remember all the old pictures of ourselves we took on those cameras. I wonder if any got claimed and the people got them developed and were like, "What the heck!?"
    LOL, so funny!!!
    Hey, you and Jason should think about coming out here for a visit! We had plenty of room for you guys!

    By Blogger Jenny, at 1:55 PM, February 09, 2007  

  • Hello Judy,

    Thanks for this incredible post. It inspired me to write a related post on my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

    Dana =)

    By Blogger Widsith, at 8:47 AM, February 12, 2007  

  • Hi Judy,
    Jenn Butcher sent me the link to your blogspot. I work with YWAM San Diego/Baja and Im wanting to become a Certified Nurse Midwife, so she suggested I chat with you. I would love to hear about your route of study.
    thanks! Jessica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM, February 19, 2007  

  • forget it jessica ... she hardly ever blogs any more ... and her offers to go bar hopping with me have diminished also ... yes ... juday the 'i ain't got time any more' un-blogger

    By Blogger Tina, at 4:09 PM, February 21, 2007  

  • Tina, stop discouraging people to be my friend! How's Friday night for you?

    And Jessica--have Jenn give you my gmail address, as that's probably the best way to chat! Looking forward to it....

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 6:43 AM, February 26, 2007  

  • i just want you all to myself :) i see that you are adjusting to shift work like i would ... actually you are doing it, so you are WAY ahead of me! friday is great, as jeff is leaving for myrtle beach for a week on friday. ok ... now everybody be judy's friend ... and play nice.

    By Blogger Tina, at 9:38 PM, February 26, 2007  

  • Hey, I don't have your gmail address.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 12:20 PM, March 05, 2007  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 12:20 PM, March 05, 2007  

  • We need a new post from you.
    And I need your g-mail address!
    Love you.
    J

    By Blogger Jenny, at 2:16 PM, March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home