Your Real Life is Hidden

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Revelation at the econolube

So I went to the econolube today to change Ji-Heun's oil (that's my car), and I was assulted by a revelation of what I'm feeling. This is a good thing. I think. I was the only customer there (apparently most people don't make it to the oil change before eight in the morning--I had just dropped Jason off at work and it was on my way and on my to do list), so the guys met me walking in and pulled Ji-Heun right into the bay.

The mechanics are busily changing the oil, and there's one guy left inside to ask me what I'm doing this weekend while I'm trying to read a magazine. Then the other mechanic comes back in to tell me my air filter needs replacing, because it's been 20,000km. I tell him, "You just replaced it in June when I got her oil changed." He's like, "Yeah, but it's been almost 20k since then." I literally said outloud, "20,000km and I haven't gone anywhere! I'll replace it next time."

With a shock I realized those were my exact sentiments. Not entirely accurate, of course, because they're very subjective views. But you know, I've been here seven and a half months, and it doesn't feel like I'm any closer to getting landed, or a job, or anything like that. Where have we gone in seven months? To London, Paris and Ayr and back, to Toronto about twice, and to the States and back six times (if I counted correctly), but really no where. We haven't changed apartments or churches. Jason has the same job (although he has been promoted in this time frame and was able quit his secondary & tertiary jobs), I'm back to having little occupation.....I guess when it's all based on what we can see nothing's happened since we moved here.

Yet our real lives are hidden......in this time I've made several friends where I thought there may be none for a long time. I found a church home. I've discovered more than a church home, an entire church family that has surrounded me and loved me and lifted me up before the Father. I've come into contact with people who have accepted me as I am and lovingly helped me change for the better--"come as you are and you'll be loved"--is their motto. God has been ever present with direction even when we seemed on the edge of hopelessness. Countless times He's shown the way to a paycheque, the way to do what I love, the way to work with Him doing what HE loves to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home