Your Real Life is Hidden

Thursday, January 12, 2006

What I'm up to.........

Sunday was my first Spanish lesson. No, I'm not taking Spanish lessons; I'm teaching them!! It's something that I now realize has been in my heart for a very long time--to teach. I love teaching. Remember (BAS girls) the spiritual gifts quiz we took in Hyderabad? Teaching is one of my top two gifts. And I love it. That's part of why I love midwifery so much--the big focus is not on baby catching, but on educating women on what's happening in their bodies, and what God is bringing forth, and what power and strength they possess and don't know about. If I can teach one concept to each of my clients, they will go and teach that concept to ten of their friends, whether they consciously do it or not. The beauty of teaching is that if done well, it multiplies.

Anyway, I have eight students presently. Four are from my small group, two are their children, and the other two I met at the New Year's party Jason & I attended. That couple will be moving to Nicaragua soon, within a few months, and they've been looking for someone to teach them Spanish before they leave. I'm still astounded at the complexity of what God's plan is like--little did I anticipate a New Year's celebration would bring on a whole new focus for my interim life (waiting for a visa). I'm completely empassioned and enthralled and freakin' ecstatic about teaching and preparing the lessons and seeing how much my pupils already know and what they need work on. It's no replacement for midwifery in my life, but it's a good suppliment.

The other new thing in my life is Swahili. I'm teaching myself to speak Swahili, with the aid of my good friend Ulani Trouble (McAdams). She & her husband are staff at a YWAM base in England, and they've just sent their DTS off to Tanzania. They had put together a Swahili language learning pack before they left, and shared it with me. Why? Because I myself am going to Tanzania in March! Unbelievable, eh? Yeah, me too. But that's where the next step is for me. I alluded to this a bit in a previous blog entry, but I don't think a lot of people got what I was talking about. I've been invited to spend a month at a birth clinic run by the YWAM base in Dar Es Salaam, helping their doctor and midwife. I'm pretty well excited off my rocker. I've always wanted to go to Africa, and away I goes! Well, that's just the short of it. More to come on this front.

In other news, I've finally received another update about Dagmar. She is still in critical care. Dagmar has shown some very positive signs, her eyes are opening and she is observing her surroundings. Dagmar has moved her leg and is squeezing the hand of those that are caring for her. Dagmar has been taken off a respirator. A concern is lack of movement on her left side and very minimal communication. Please pray for a complete recovery and continued healing of her body from her many and extensive operations. God is doing miracles in our dear Dagmar’s life.

Thanks all for your prayers, and if there is anything I can pray for you about, please email me or post it in the comment page. God is faithful. That's all I can say, really. I had a long conversation with my mate Stacey last night, with some stuff she's dealing with, and I told her, "I don't have any specific direction for you, but remember that God is faithful, stand firm, keep praying." There is hope for all 'hopeless' situations in our lives. I can attest to this.

We don't know the scope and the depth of God's plan, but we do know that He will be faithful to bring it about. Isaiah 46:9-10 & 13 says: "And do not forget the things I have done throughout history. For I am God--I alone! I am God, and there is no one else like me. Only I can tell you what is going to happen even before it happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish. For I am ready to set things right, not in the distant future, but right now! I am ready to save!"

6 Comments:

  • Tanzania!! WOW!! Judy, that's so awesome! I mean, we're going to miss you that month you're gone, but that's SO AWESOME! :) ...I loved the way you described your excitement... what was it, 'freakin excited off your rocker' or something like that? LOL, That's great! I'm really happy for you!!

    And thanks for sharing the update about Dagmar and the Spanish lessons too. It's great to be able to celebrate this stuff with you (we should have a party or something!). :)

    - Dana

    By Blogger Widsith, at 11:03 AM, January 13, 2006  

  • Ah yes, a fiesta is in order. You can bring the chimichangas and I'll order the mariachis! But yes, it's great to celebrate these things....like you said recently on your blog, rejoice with those who rejoice...... :) Bless ya

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 4:24 PM, January 13, 2006  

  • hey butt-kicker juday! have you thought of advertising the spanish thing on the bulleting board at the church (near the bathrooms)? also, i wonder if you would get more students (if you want more) by talking to Martin Foster - who organises teams to go down south - or Jim Hetherington - who does the same with da yut (the youth) ... just some thoughs ... squish your guts out! tina

    By Blogger Tina, at 10:38 AM, January 16, 2006  

  • hey butt-kicker juday! have you thought of advertising the spanish thing on the bulleting board at the church (near the bathrooms)? also, i wonder if you would get more students (if you want more) by talking to Martin Foster - who organises teams to go down south - or Jim Hetherington - who does the same with da yut (the youth) ... just some thoughs ... squish your guts out! tina

    By Blogger Tina, at 10:39 AM, January 16, 2006  

  • Those are some good suggestions, Tina. I thought once or twice before about the teams going to Guatemala/Nicaragua. Maybe I should act on mi thoughts, eh? Loves ya

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 2:15 PM, January 17, 2006  

  • Judy, it's always a pleasure to read your posts, it's hard to put into words what the tone of your words convey - but like Dana and Tina commented, its so great to celebrate with you as you explore the vast expanse of God's plans for you! You are a woman of grace and eloquence, as well your childlikeness is contagious! Look forward to talking with you soon! And thanks for all of the great replies you've had on my blog!

    By Blogger Caroline, at 10:11 PM, January 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home