Your Real Life is Hidden

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An old way to flirt, or you learn something new every day

I was browsing in the library the other day and stumbled across a book about the history of Ontario by a certain Peter Baskerville. No relation, as far as we know at this point, but we haven't really looked into it. It seems likely, as there aren't that many Baskervilles around here. Anyway, one chapter had this cool thing about "Handkerchief Flirting," the way young courting couples would circumvent the gossips of town in the 19th century. I thought you might be interested to see what the signals are (in case you still live in a small town, regularly carry a handkerchief, and are so shy you often flirt from across the room).

Laying it on right cheek = I love you
Laying it on left cheek = I hate you
Drawing it out of pocket = do you love me?
Putting it over right shoulder = follow me
Putting it over left shoulder = not just now
Waving it with right hand = will you be out tonight?
Waving it with left hand = I’ll call for you
Covering your face = I don’t want your company
Holding it at your right side = do you want an introduction?
Holding it at your left side = never mind an introduction
Placing it around your neck = may I see you home?
Crumpled up in right hand = yes
Crumpled up in left hand = no
Dropping it = come now or never
Folding it once = call me by my right name
Kissing it = the same to you
Tieing it in a knot = remember you are engaged
Holding it open in front of you = if you speak, I will
Throwing it up = will you see me home?
Putting it in pocket = goodbye

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home