Your Real Life is Hidden

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The wisdom of teeth

I'm back.

Big events from the past week:

Getting all four wisdom teeth pulled in twenty minutes or less! Thank you, Dr. Lam! You are awesome with whatever it is dentists use to extract teeth! I felt nothing besides the aweful stinging and burning of the needle administering the local anaesthetic into the roof of my mouth. The only really bad part of the whole thing was the first two hours afterwards when I couldn't talk because my entire mouth, lips, and tongue were totally numb. I also couldn't swallow, so I felt like I was drowning on my own saliva. Nice picture, eh? But by drinking lots of chocolate milk, fruit smoothies, and cold water, I have gotten through it. Thank you also everyone who prayed for things to go well and an easy recovery. Things went awesome, I had minimal bleeding the few hours after, despite my worries nothing has gotten stuck in the gaping wounds to cause infection, and I feel great. I only used some acetaminophen the first day; otherwise I haven't had much pain except opening my mouth too widely too soon. :)

In other news, I think it was this week or last week (sometimes I lose track of time) that I talked to Stacey and heard the girls are coming out in October for some fun times in Toronto! So I'll be hanging out with them, and they'll maybe be coming here, or something. Anyway, I'm excited to see my Mano 'womens' (as my good friend Delphine would have said).

My nephew Caleb seems to have started on rice cereal sometime this week or something. I learned from my sister that there is apparently a huge discussion among mothers as to whether to start your kids on fruits first or vegetables. My opinion (which I came to yesterday while making applesauce) is that whichever one, make sure they taste good. You know, I always hated vegetables as a kid. But now when I eat Indian food, I almost always get the vegetarian meals because they taste so much better than meat curries, because they do these crazy things to veggies that make them awesome.

Sunday we went out to the farm (aka Mum & Dad's) to see our little brothers and to go apple picking. We only got about sixty pounds this time, and all Gala. Only Macintosh and Gala were ready, so we might go back again for some others in October.

Yesterday we made applesauce using our old-school canning jars that we found at the estate sale in April. Old jars, with rubber rings and glass tops. Very cool, archaic even. More than half ended up sealing. I don't know really what went wrong with the others. But we checked them this morning, and they weren't sealed, so we'll reprocess those. Any tips, (older) housewifeys?

Earlier last week, I also got a call from a certain place wanting me to come for an interview! So I might be getting a really awesome job soon. That's my hope, but I expect they'll hire me once they meet me. Good news!

3 Comments:

  • about the applesauce ... can you use different seals on them? if so, get new ones ... make sure the rim is clean (using a sterilized cloth) ... and process in boiling water. If that doesn't work ... give it away soon or ... put it into freezer bags and freeze it.

    about the job ... kick butt girlfriend!

    By Blogger Tina, at 6:28 PM, September 12, 2006  

  • I replaced the seals and the glass lids with extremely clean ones and did as you said, then we tried boiling them but they wouldn't seal. Oy. So we've stuck them in the fridge and will be eating our daily quota of apples for a while. The rest seem to have sealed fine as well as the batch we did yesterday.

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 8:01 AM, September 13, 2006  

  • i hate it when that happens ... how many jars? if lots, i'd be tempted to put the sauce in freezer bags.

    By Blogger Tina, at 7:10 PM, September 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home