Your Real Life is Hidden

Saturday, September 16, 2006

!Feliz Dieciseis de Septiembre!

Happy Mexican Independance day! Contrary to popular belief, it is in fact on the 16th of September (hence the name of the day), and not on Cinco de Mayo (or the 5th of May). Cinco de mayo is when the Spanish threw the French out of Mexico. Dieciseis de septiembre is the day the Mexicans threw the Spanish out of Mexico. So, !Viva Mexico!

What got me in the mood for all the celebration? Well, Dana was over last night and we were talking about bilingual/multilingual children (I'm reading a fantastic book called Raising Multilingual Children by Tracey Tokuhama-Espinosa that's all about language acquisition in the brain and all those sorts of things--I'm only on the second chapter but it's AWESOME!), and Dana mentioned how she had started studying Spanish at uni and that she'd like to start a Spanish play group with my kids and her kids. So I said okay, but maybe we can speak German sometimes? So my kids get a chance to pick up German from a native speaker. Isn't that cool?

That's about all I have to say. Hayley and I are going to Guelph tonight to see Jacob Moon in concert (if you know who that is; I just found out this week). I'm pretty excited. I heard one of his songs online, and he sounds great. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 Comments:

  • Did you like jacob moon??? Did he mention the IJM (I heard he was working with them)?? Hi by the way :) I hope you had a beautiful day and enjoyed the sunshine.

    By Blogger julielewisandthenews, at 3:03 PM, September 17, 2006  

  • I look forward to that play group!! And maybe Joel can join us, and teach us all some Indonesian and Punan! :D And then won't our poor kids be so confused, lol!! ...jk, Really, our kids will be brilliant multilingual geniuses! ;)

    By Blogger Widsith, at 8:33 AM, September 27, 2006  

  • Oh, and that bit about Mexican history is so interesting!! Thanks for sharing it! :)

    By Blogger Widsith, at 8:33 AM, September 27, 2006  

  • Yeah, I liked Jacob Moon. About half of his songs reminded me of my good friend Stacey in Alberta, so half the time I was all misty-eyed, wishing she was there with us! But it was great.

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 3:19 PM, September 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home