Your Real Life is Hidden

Friday, May 11, 2007

Something to blog about

I believe those were my exact words last night on the way home from the library. Yesterday was a day of firsts for me.

I saw my first killdeer (a kind of bird with an ingenous method of protecting its nest) yesterday afternoon while driving in the car with Jason. He's a dear, and knows so much about the wildlife here. I'll often ask, "What bird is making that call?" and he'll casually reply "a red-winged blackbird" or "cardinal" or "blue jay" and then in a few seconds I'll spot the lovely creature. It's like living on a nature show. So cool. So yesterday it was a killdeer in the field (soon to be a strip mall/more sprawling townhouse complex) by the library. Apparently these crafty birds, when a predator is too close to its young or eggs, will start to run away, dragging a 'broken' wing behind to lure the predator away from the nest. Then when the threat is out of the immediate area, they'll take to the air and laugh. Okay, maybe the laugh part was my interpretation. Isn't that cool? Now I've got a terrible urge to go trekking through the brush in that field to see this display for myself.

Yesterday I also held my first toad. It was just hanging out in front of our friend's apartment building. When it didn't hop away as I began to pet it, I picked it up for a closer look. They actually ARE dry, not all moist like a sapo. And bumpy.

And then what did I see to complete my wildlife trifecta? A FOX!!!!!!! Oh my goodness. I've only seen foxes in movies (Secret Garden anyone?). This one ran across the road, again from the field by the library, but it was dark this time. I though at first it was a dog, then a coyote, but the bushy tail and pointy face gave him away. A fox!!! They're actually taller than I imagined--long legs and bushy tail. I couldn't help wondering if he was trying to find a killdeer nest while mama killdeer was sleeping. But imagine, a fox in the city. It was so cool.

Our last first last night was Frodo. I finally distinctly felt the nudge-nudge of little feet. Or little elbows or knees or some other body part. I think Frodo was so excited mommy had finally stopped doing doing doing on her day off and was laying down ("PS," Frodo says, "Thanks for getting all that Indian food off my head!"), that Frodo did a little dance or more of a swim inside. I felt the first nudge, and said "I think Frodo just kicked me." Closely followed by the second nudge, "That was definitely Frodo!" Then Jason put his hand on my belly, and Frodo kicked his fingers twice!!!!! He didn't feel it, but I did. It was awesome. Only 18 weeks, which is classically early for primigravidas (first time pregnant mommies), but there were four distinct nudges from our little hobbit.

That's all. More later.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home