Your Real Life is Hidden

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Finalist for the year's best primipara!

Hi!

I just got back from my latest birth. She was freakin' amazing! I'm so proud of her. I'm going to share some gory details for all my midwifey friends They're not so gory that it'll make you throw up if you're not used to this, but you might fall asleep. I'll keep it short.

She was due on the 19th, and would be induced this morning if no spontaneous labour. So I packed my bag last night, had my cell phone next to my head so that I'd be ready when she called in the morning to say she was en route to her induction. Fell asleep somewhere near midnight, but Jason was still awake. Suddenly, the phone rings. Not my cell, but the other one. I'm completely disoriented, still in a half-dream state, and I think it's probably someone from my small group. Luckily Jason's still conscious, so he jumps up to grab the phone. It's my client, of course. She's telling me she's been having contractions and is heading to the hospital. I mumble a few things to her that don't make sense, and say I'll meet her there within an hour. Two minutes later the phone rings again, and she says that her friend is driving her to the hospital, and she'll call and let me know if she needs me because her boyfriend is meeting her there. I'm fully awake this time and my brain has caught up to my mouth. :) Always a plus. Her friend calls me at 4:30 to let me know that she's been admitted and I can go on and meet her there. I get a breakfast together and some tea to take with me, and wake Jason so he can drive me.

I arrived at the hospital just about 5:30, met her boyfriend and the nurse. She was having some contractions, and they were nearly tolerable, but she wanted some demerol to take the edge off. I go to the nurses station and let them know, and within a few minutes she's got it. Things go better for her immediately, it's manageable, and she's even sitting in the recliner for a while (in between going to the bathroom [seriously] every five minutes). I'm doing some back & foot massage (she's had back labour since last night) for her. Her boyfriend is sleeping in another chair. My tea tastes like there's coffee and cayenne pepper in it (I really MUST wash that cup out better or maybe just not use it for tea), but I'm stubborn and drink it anyway.

At 7:10 the doctor checks her; she's 4cm and fully effaced. She asks him if the baby will be born by 18:00, and he says probably. Maybe as early as 14:00 or 16:00. Lets her know that if she wants the epidural (and she sure does!), now's the time because in an hour the anesthetist will be in surgery. She said yes quite enthusiastically. I'm happy she's getting what she wants, because that was one thing we went over several times, that she wants an epidural and before it's too late. I think that 4cm is a bit early, but she's made this decision with the doctor so I support her. The nurse tells us it will be 15 minutes. In another twenty minutes, she's in agony and is wondering where the heck the 'epidural woman' is. The nurse convinces her to try some nitrous oxide while we're waiting for the anesthetist. It works out pretty well for her, and at 7:50 the nurse says she's already 6-7cm.

She calls the doctor, and by the time he gets there (about 8 or 8:05), she's fully dialated, and five minutes later the 'epidural woman' is walking in. The doctor tells her it's too late, sorry. Push. Deep breath and push.

The baby's heartbeat is a bit decreased, and the doctor's concerned, so he whips out the vacuum. She's already got the head way down and almost out. The doctor just attatches really quickly, and in another contraction the head's delivered. She did SO AWESOME! I'm so proud of her! The baby turned then and looked at me. Well, her eyes weren't open, but if they had been, she'd have seen me. I've got tears in my eyes, and then the body's delivered with a hand tucked neatly up beside her chin which gave mom a small tear. I cut the cord. The scissors weren't very sharp, but I managed okay. Really awesome. Beautiful little girl, 7lbs 10oz. I'm sure she'll look just like her mommy. She still had that little fist tucked up next to her face when I left two hours later. Mom is doing well breastfeeding, well, teaching little baby how to breastfeed, and very tired but very happy. It was so good to see her go through labour so well, when she anticipated so much pain and agony into the night, and there she went at 8:20 this morning, signed, sealed, DELIVERED! I got to hold her while the doctor was suturing. Sweet child. Then I got the other very fun job of calling all the family and friends to share the good news.

I called Jason around 9:30 to come pick me up. Poor darling. Woken up by the phone for like the third time today. I'm so wide awake. I love this. It was awesome. I'm so proud of her.

Anyway, that's my blog of the day. Too bad it's taken me a week to update, eh?

2 Comments:

  • You're my sweet, sweet Trouble in this life, Ula. Guess what? I'll be seeing you in March. I keep forgetting to email.

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 9:42 AM, January 28, 2006  

  • Rock on!! It's so energizing to hear of people {in this case, You! :) } doing what they're passionate about!! I'm really happy for you, Judy!

    By the way, when you said you'd be sharing the gory details, I in my mind I was anticipating as detailed a description as if I had been there myself... I've always wanted to watch a birth, actually, and be there to support the Mom! :) Thing is, I don't know anyone well enough who's pregnant! Oh well...

    Anyway, you have a great writing style, Judy! I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!!

    - D

    By Blogger Widsith, at 8:21 PM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home