Your Real Life is Hidden

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Back in style

So, after weeks of excruciating back pain and headaches, I took the advice of my good friend Laura and went to see her chiropractor. Naturally, the first thing he wanted to do was take a series of X-rays, and not actually do anything about the torment I was living with (after a very painful analyzation of my back trying to move vertebrae that refuse to move). This was on Thursday of last week. After much convincing, I let him take the X-rays. I have a thing about artifical chemicals as well as radiation, but I think he made a good point.

Friday something wonderful happened. I went to the Naturally Supernatural conference that was being hosted in Cambridge. It was really freaking awesome. I met this wonderful woman from Ingersoll with whom I connected in about a million ways. She has kids, the last one was born at home, she's worked in Africa, she knows all about deserts and ground water (slightly random, I'll admit), her husband's a YWAMer, she lives in the next town over from my in-laws! So that was really awesome to meet her. I'm looking forward to spending more time with her, meeting her kids and her midwife.

Saturday we went to see the Raptors play. That was pretty cool. I love the mascot; he rocks. Then we went out to Mum & Dad's for some old-fashioned turkey goodness and hanging out with our little brothers. Did I mention I was still in horrible pain? It was almost impossible to sit through the conference on Friday (only a few hours each session), and Saturday it was worse; I could even feel the pain all through my hips and collarbone. Ouch? Yes.

Sunday we went to church where a lot of suprising things happened. It's difficult to articulate it all, but here's the really cool part. After the service I stood up to receive some prayer for my insanely angry back. It was worse than it ever has been on Sunday morning; I could hardly bend over to put on my shoes. That's pretty extreme, eh? I do African dance and carry buckets of water on my head and climb mountains in flip flops, and I could barely bend in half for fifteen seconds. Meanwhile, at church, people are praying for me. And it was good, but it wasn't making a difference. It was nice, emotionally, to see the people cared about me and wanted me to be getting on to that abundant part of this life we always talk about. But I couldn't stand up straight. I was leaning on Jason, clenching my teeth and hoping for relief. And the most amazing thing happened (well, not the MOST amazing ever, but it was really freaking amazing for me). One of the people as they began to pray for me felt my pain in his own back. I could tell because he kept saying "Ouch! That hurts! That really hurts! Ow!"

I don't know if that's ever happened to you, but I know it happens to some people when they pray for someone else. Me, I usually feel people's emotional pain and suffering and brokenheartedness. More honestly, I feel that when I'm just speaking to them, or sometimes just looking at them. It's a gift. It's part of intercession, to really know what you're praying for that person.

Anyway, God gave this guy that particular gift of intercession as he prayed for me. That's when I began to weep, because at last someone knew what I was feeling. It's difficult to articulate the general back pain and almost fear of movement I'd been living with for the past few months. But there it was. It was God saying He cared so much about me He'd let other people in on the secret of my pain. Maybe not secret, more like intensity. But it's the same thing when you can't paint a word picture for people, isn't it? And then as these awesome friends prayed for me, it started. The pain began leaving. Little by little, area by area of my back until I was free. I was feeling so good when we left, I nearly bounced off the walls of our apartment. And I felt good all that night.

And Monday.

And Tuesday, when I finally saw my chiropractor again and he showed me my X-rays. My back isn't better, but I'm free from pain. Most of my spine is okay, except a few vertebrae out of joint, but my lower back looks perfect. And my neck is a train wreck--did you know your spine is supposed to curve from your shoulders to your skull? It is. Mine isn't curved. It's straight. Hence the several weeks of excruciating headaches and all. But the doctor says he's certain he can fix me, and I think I may as well get things straightened out (or in my case, curved) now so I can live the next seventy years with a sound back, eh? It's a bit crazy to think about how long we're living now with all the extra wear-and-tear our modern lifestyles take on our bodies.

So there you have it. My news, just like that. Also, my job thingys have been going well. I have another interview in two weeks, which means this process is coming to an end. Thank the Lord! Mas en la semana proxima......

5 Comments:

  • Wow! That back pain deal sounds bad. I'm glad your pain is gone. I'm still getting used to the type of healing that takes place at Cambridge Vineyard. Wish I could have gone to Naturally Supernatural.

    So, your interview on Tuesday was a success??? Thanks again so much to Jason and you for taking me to Mississauga on Tuesday. Things worked out as smoothly as I had hoped. :)

    All the best!

    Jared

    By Blogger cheriet, at 6:51 PM, October 11, 2006  

  • Judy

    Thanks for taking the time to tell us about what God is doing in your life! It is a real encouragement to so many of us out here! Praise God for how He shows up, blows our mind and does the expected in a very unexpected way! I love His creativity. I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. Thank you Jesus!

    By Blogger corena, at 7:52 AM, October 12, 2006  

  • Hi Judy,
    I feel like i must have been under a rock to not realize you were going through that much agony with your back :(
    Your beautifully written report of the week was such a great insight into how you work through those types of difficult moments...there is praise in your tone without you even realizing it maybe? It's all over you woman of God! And I have so appreciated the encouragement you have given to me! So thank you again.
    Love Caroline

    By Blogger Caroline, at 8:26 PM, October 12, 2006  

  • My testing on Tuesday went really well--they called me on Wednesday morning (after saying they'd get back to me next week) to schedule a real interview at last. So that's in about a week and a half. Whoo-hoo!

    And whoever didn't know I was having such back agony, well, it's because I wasn't telling anyone and staying home all day horizontal on the couch or in bed. I've always hated being a wuss and admiting when I'm in pain, but that doesn't make it easy for people to pray for me! God is so good to me; giving me a great husband who supports me and loves me and prays for me, and giving me a small group that asks why I'm so quiet and not being myself and beating the truth out of me when necessary. :) Only a true friend would be that brutally honest, as they say. :)

    By Blogger Judy Baskerville, at 7:03 PM, October 13, 2006  

  • Judy, I feel terrible at having been out of the picture so long (i.e. drowning in the details of my own life) to have any idea that this was going on. I'm so sorry! :(

    But your story of healing is wonderful and comforting. Thank you for sharing it!!

    And I hope all goes well with the next interview! I look forward to hearing how it goes!! =)

    By Blogger Widsith, at 7:22 AM, October 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home