Your Real Life is Hidden

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Life's little things

I recently saw a movie that celebrated the little things in life--the small pleasures we get from things that make us smile that maybe other people don't notice. So I thought I'd make my own list of little things that I like (big things like foreign food and travel and marriage have intentionally been left off the list):

I like the way jar lids pop when I've canned something and then it seals. The sweet little metallic 'ding' that is so quiet it can be missed if I'm doing anything louder than reading a book.

I like the way the word "Ostereich" feels on my tongue when I say it. (That's the proper name of Austria, by the way, sans oomlout because I don't know how to type one.)

I like when people randomly use a non-English word in an otherwise all-English sentance or conversation.

I like waiting and watching obsessively for the first teeny-tiny sprout of whatever I've planted as the cups of dirt sit in my windowsills.

I like how when I'm mixing some spices to put into a dish I'm cooking, and I suddenly get a whiff that takes me back to India or (like the other day when we were making dinner for Darren & Tanya) a hostel in New Zealand or a torta stand in Mexico.

Feel free to add your own little pleasures of life. :)

3 Comments:

  • Oh, you are such a sweetie. And yes, Liam probably will outgrown me in the next year or so, if not in height, definitely in strength!

    Anyway, my list of small pleasures:

    the smell of fresh, hot laundry out of the dryer.

    Liam surprising me with a kiss (yeah, he won't give them when I ask for one, but sometimes he just comes over and gives me a big kiss on the cheek)

    a cup of hot, regular tea with sugar and milk....
    speaking of which, I've got one on the counter than needs drinking! I should go...

    By Blogger Jenny, at 9:40 AM, October 05, 2006  

  • Judy, your list made me smile! Little pleasures are the best...my one lately is looking at clouds - staring at them, taking them in as they form pictures, and trees - watching as they glisten where the sun bounces off of them, taking in all the colours...the Autumn air always brings a refreshing feeling to me.

    I also like the feeling of holding hands with Steve -- he does this cute motion that brings personality to his hand, as though it is a puppet (something i've grown to love, and never hold back a smile from!)

    Making eye contact and smiling to people, and saying an enthusiastic or friendly 'hi' is also something i love :)

    Thanks for your post Judy!

    By Blogger Caroline, at 8:24 PM, October 05, 2006  

  • sleeping in sheets that have dried on a clothes line outside. the sound of rain when i'm lying in bed at night. the sound of the ocean when i'm lying in bed at night. walking in the rain. walking by the ocean. the feeling in my mouth when i've eaten something really sour. how jeff's and my feet fit togther so perfectly when we snuggle them up to each other.

    By Blogger Tina, at 7:33 PM, October 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home